MARISCO CASTLE, KEEP AND BAILEY WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1104957

Date first listed: 07-Oct-1991

Statutory Address: MARISCO CASTLE, KEEP AND BAILEY WALLS

Map

Ordnance survey map of MARISCO CASTLE, KEEP AND BAILEY WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104957 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 13:59:38.

Location

Statutory Address: MARISCO CASTLE, KEEP AND BAILEY WALLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SS 14146 43772

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LUNDY

SS14SW Marisco Castle, Keep and Bailey 1938-0/2/5 Walls

II*

Castle keep and bailey walls. Built in 1243 by Henry III, remodelled as cottages in circa mid C19 and again as holiday cottages by Landmark Trust in late C20. Stone rubble, C20 corrugated sheet metal roofs inside walls. Keep is approximately square on plan with projecting towers on east and west sides. Inside the keep fishermen's cottages were built in circa mid C19 against the outer walls on the north-east and south sides. These cottages have been largely rebuilt in the C20. In 1887 a lean-to outshut was built outside against the north side of the keep to house the terminal of the telegraph cable.

Exterior: The low square keep has slightly battered walls, battlements and round turrets on the corners and as chimneys. Projection at centre of east side with tower breaking forward of centre. The entrance into the keep is through the side of a projection on the west side. The walls of the keep are blind except for a few small windows and putlog holes on the east side. On north side an outshut (now cottage) with lean-to corrugated asbestos roof. Inside keep the cottages are 2 storeys and have C20 2-light casements with glazing bars and brick lined openings.

Including bailey walls: remains of battered stone rubble revetments to south, east and north east and fosse on landward side to north west where gate was situated.

Interior: The interiors of the cottages are late C20.

Historical note: Marisco Castle was built in 1243 after Henry III had executed William de Marisco in 1242 for treason. The de Marisco family, who held Lundy from the C122 to 1321 were pirates who terrorised this coast, but as reputed descendants of a royal bastard they made claims to the throne. The Castle was refortified during the Civil War. (Lundy:A and M Langham).

Listing NGR: SS1414643772

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 91981

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Langham, A, Langham, M, Lundy, (1970)

End of official listing