This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PAIR OF ADJACENT ALFORD HEADSTONES APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES SOUTH SOUTH EAST OF THE CHANCEL OF THE CHURCH OF ST GILES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PAIR OF ADJACENT ALFORD HEADSTONES APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES SOUTH SOUTH EAST OF THE CHANCEL OF THE CHURCH OF ST GILES

List entry Number: 1104989

Location

PAIR OF ADJACENT ALFORD HEADSTONES APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES SOUTH SOUTH EAST OF THE CHANCEL OF THE CHURCH OF ST GILES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: St. Giles in the Wood

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Feb-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 91846

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST GILES ST GILES IN THE WOOD SS 53 18 IN THE WOOD 18/235 Pair of adjacent Alford headstones - approximately 12 metres south-south east of the chancel of the Church of St Giles

GV II

Pair of adjacent headstones. Both are C18 in memory of members of the Alford family. Both are slate. The eastern one is the earlier. It is square-headed and stands only approximately 150 millimetres high. On both sides the head is carved with a good winged cherubs head flanked by scrolled decoration and the inscription is Roman serif upper and lower case lettering. Most is buried but the name of John Alford shows on the east side. The western one has a shaped head and the front is carved with an incised frame supported on columns. The first letter of the inscription is ornamental. The rest is Roman serif upper and lower case lettering and records the death of Martha Alford in 1758. The rear is inscribed in memory of John Alford (died 1793) in simple cusped frame.

Listing NGR: SS5336018935

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 53360 18935

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104989 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2017 at 05:23:44.

End of official listing