NOS 11 AND 12 INCLUDING FRONT RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1104994

Date first listed: 16-Feb-1989

Statutory Address: NOS 11 AND 12 INCLUDING FRONT RAILINGS, 11 AND 12

Map

Ordnance survey map of NOS 11 AND 12 INCLUDING FRONT RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104994 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 10:56:36.

Location

Statutory Address: NOS 11 AND 12 INCLUDING FRONT RAILINGS, 11 AND 12

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge (District Authority)

Parish: St. Giles in the Wood

National Grid Reference: SS 53392 19056

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST GILES ST GILES IN THE WOOD SS 53 19 IN THE WOOD 23/250 Nos. 11 and 12 including front - railings

GV II

Pair of former estate cottages. Dated 1876 for the Honourable Mark George Kerr Rolle. Snecked local stone with ashlar quoins and yellow brick dressings; stone stacks with red brick chimneyshafts (partly rebuilt in C20); slate roof. Plan: pair of contemporary cottages facing east, No. 11 to left and No. 12 to right. Each is a mirror plan of the other, 1 room wide and 2 deep, either side of 2 axial stacks both of which serve back-to-back fireplaces. Entrance porches each end. 2 storeys with single storey service rooms to rear. Exterior: Symmetrical 4-window front. The windows have low segmental arches over. Most are original timber mullion-and-transom windows with glazing bars but some in No. 12 are circa 1980 uPVC replacements. 3 front gables with shaped bargeboards, the centre one over a limestone plaque carved with the Rolle arms and bearing the date 1876. Main roof is gable-ended. Each end are gabled porches with front doorways; brick-lined Tudor arches with stone hoodmoulds. Both have C20 doors. Interiors: not inspected. A narrow strip of ground along the front is enclosed by original cast iron railings; plain railings and bulbous standards with fleur-de-lys finials. Original gates in the same style. This was a Rolle estate village. The big house, Stevenstone Court (q.v.), now ruined, was rebuilt in 1872-3 and the whole village, including the Church of St Giles (q.v.) was remodelled soon afterwards.

Listing NGR: SS5339219056

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 91861

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing