CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1105026
Date first listed:
16-Feb-1989
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105026 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 21:33:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Little Torrington
National Grid Reference:
SS 49101 16851

Details

LITTLE TORRINGTON LITTLE TORRINGTON SS 41 NE 16/125 Church of St Giles - GV II*

Parish church. C15, restored 1852-8 by Rev. George de. C. Guille the rector at that time. Stone rubble walls, rendered to the tower. Gable ended slate roofs. Plan: Nave, south aisle and porch, west tower. The church appears entirely Perpendicular in style, and was heavily restored in 1852-8 when the chancel was enlarged and the north and south walls partly rebuilt. The tower was restored in 1898 when its screen and new oak stalls were put in. Exterior: 3 stage west tower with diagonal buttresses, castellated parapets with obelisk finials. 2 light belfry openings with 4-centred arches. C15 4-centred arched west doorway with roll and hollow moulding and inscribed scroll stops. Slits for stair on north side of tower. North wall of nave has 3 Perpendicular 2 and 3- light red sandstone windows. Gabled C19 vestry projects from north end of chancel. 3-light restored Perpendicular east windows with carved headstops. C15 style cinquefoiled restored light on south chancel wall. South aisle has Perpendicular style restored red sandstone windows. Gabled south porch with C15 4-centred arched doorway with roll moulding and early C19 panelled doors. Interior: Medieval wagon roof to porch with moulded ribs, carved bosses and wall- plates. South doorway has 4-centred chamfered rubble arch with contemporary heavy studded plank door with cover stips. Internal walls have C20 render apart from stencil decoration to chancel walls. 4 bay arcade to Pevsner A-type piers with various religious devices carved on capitals. Moulded 4-centred arches. Tall 4-centred double chamfered tower arch. The pulpit dates from the restoration but incorporates older carving reputedly from the old rood screen. Roofs have been entirely restored but copied from originals. Norman front of subdivided cushion shape on C15 stem with colonnetes at corners. Good memorial on north wall of white marble to Henry Stevens of Cross (q.v.) who died 1802. Above the inscribed plaque is a bas relief of a mourning woman in classical robes leaning over a sarcophagas. There are various other early-mid C17 marble memorials mainly to members of the Stevens family. Sources: Kelly's Directory 1906 ; Churches in the Deanery of Torrington - Brixton Cresswell.

Listing NGR: SS4910116851

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
91740
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cresswell, B F, Notes on Devon Churches in the Deanery of Torrington, (1925)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1906)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jan 2006
Reference: IOE01/13230/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barbara Hilton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].