Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105056.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Mar-2021 at 00:23:05.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Torridge (District Authority)
High Bickington
National Grid Reference:
SS 59976 20463


HIGH BICKINGTON HIGH BICKINGTON SS 59 20 14/97 Hope Cottage 4.10.60 GV II

Cottage. Probably mid C17, with late C17 or early C18 additions. Further enlarged in the late C18 or early C19. Rendered cob with thatched roof, gable ended to right and hipped over lower part to left. Rendered stone end stacks. Circa 1800 addition with painted stone to ground floor, rendered cob to first floor and gable-ended Welsh-slate roof. Plan and development: C17 two-room plan consisting of hall to right with external end stack and smaller unheated room to left with entrance to front, and with C19 staircase to rear. Late C17 or early C18 one-room plan addition to left with external end stack. Late C18 or early C19 low service wing set back to right (said to be former smithy). Two storeys. Exterior: Asymmetrically-fenestrated front. Central mid C17 part has 2 windows to ground and first floors with C17 rebated wooden frames and C19 two-light small paned wooden casements. Doorway to left with C20 plank door, beaded pegged wooden frame and C20 bracketed gabled wooden porch with some C20 carved wooden ornament. Left- hand c. 1700 addition has first-floor late C19 two-light wooden casement, ground- floor late C19 two-light wooden casement to left and 6-pane fixed window to right with internal wrought-iron bar (said to be former doorway). Circa 1800 addition set back to right has 2 first-floor late C19 two-light small-paned wooden casements and ground-floor C19 two-light wooden casement to right. Doorway to left has C20 stone porch with lean-to clay-tile roof, half-glazed door with window to left and small window to right-hand side. Small first-floor casement in right-hand gable end. External stack in left-hand gable end of cottage has bread oven in right-hand angle with lean-to slate top. Small first-floor casements flanking stack, one-light to left and 2-light to right. Interior: Hall has plain joists spanning from front to back (possibly formerly with plaster ceiling), and C17 open fireplace with chamfered dressed stone jambs and chamfered wooden lintel with bar stops. Front windows with seats. Stud partition (possibly later insertion) between hall and entrance/staircase hall with C19 staircase to rear. Left-hand ground-floor room has chamfered cross beam with plain joists, and open fireplace with stone jambs and plain wooden lintel. Front window with seat. Central bedroom, oven hall, has small C17 fireplace with stone jambs (rendered) and chamfered wooden lintel with bar stops. Roofspace inaccessible at time of survey (January 1988) but C17 truss visible in central bedroom (over left- hand end of hall) with large straight principal rafters and trenched purlins.

Listing NGR: SS5998020465


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/02875/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Ann Allen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].