This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

COHAM

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: COHAM

List entry Number: 1105117

Location

COHAM

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Black Torrington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 91559

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BLACK TORRINGTON SS 40 NE

7/6 Coham

14.2 58

- II

Small country house. Seat of tne Coham family who still occupy it. C18 possibly incorporating earlier fabric, with addition of 1872. Stone rubble walls partly rendered. Gable-ended slate roof. Brick stacks to rear wings, stone stacks to front range. Plan: the earlier part of the house is at the rear in 2 long parallel wings - although they exhibit no features earlier than C18 they might incorporate earlier fabric. The wings have been somewhat subdivided in C19 when they were relegated to service purposes but still incoporate a sizeable dining room/library with a staircase behind it. A new front range was built at right angles in 1872 in the Elizabethan style consisting of 3 large rooms - the central one an entrance hall and immediately behind to the left a new stairhall was created in the C18 wing. A late C19 or early C20 2-storey lean-to was added behind the right end of the 1872 range. A large rear courtyard incorporating a C17 arch probably dates from an earlier building. Exterior: 2 storeys. The 1872 range is symmetrical of 3 bays with 5-windows, sligntly projecting gables to left and right and with a central stone coped 2 storey gabled porch which has a 3-light stone oriel mullion window crenellated and corbelled out from the wall. 4-centre arched chamfered stone doorway below with glazed and panelled double doors. Heraldic device, motto and date 1872 carved in stone panel in gable. Stone mullion windows - the outer ones 3-light, inner ones 2- light, the ground floor windows taller with transoms. Decorative barge-boards to outer gables. Each gable end wall has a tall 3-light mullion and transomed window on the ground floor. 2-storey lean-to behind right end. Long parallel C18 rear wings behind left end. The outer of these has a 5-window elevation with 2 late C18/early C19 paired 12-pane sashes on 1st floor to left then C18 Venetian stair window with stained glass. Below it are 2 small granite framed lights with a tall bay window to the left which is probably early C19 with reeded frieze and modillion cornice and 2 later c19 paired sashes to left. Inner wing elevation has 6 windows with 3 late C18 or early 019 leaded 2-light casements, C19 tripartite and 16-pane sashes, a paired 15-pane sash and C19 2-light casement. C19 plank door to right and 6-panelled door at centre. Rear courtyard is enclosed on 2 sides by a stone and cob wall and range of low outbuildings at the rear. Between them and the house is a large brick arch incorporating a datestone of 1765. The cob wall opposite the C18 wing incorporates a Cl? roundheaded granite arch with hollow chamfer and elaborate panelled door, small gable in wall above. Interior: C18 wing retains its open well staircase with open string, carved tread ends, turned balusters and column newels with ramped handrail. 5 large funeral hatchment hang on the walls of the staircase to members of the Coham family. Some simple C18 chimneypieces survive and panelled shutters. The 1872 wing has fairly complete joinery including partly tongue and groove panelled walls. Ornate stone fireplace and overmantle in Tudor style to central hall.

Listing NGR: SS4559805966

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 45598 05966

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105117 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2017 at 03:57:52.

End of official listing