CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105121 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2019 at 07:24:35.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Torridge (District Authority)
- Black Torrington
- National Grid Reference:
- SS 46493 05709
BLACK TORRINGTON BLACK TORRINGTON
SS 40 NE
7/15 Church of St Mary 14.2.58
Parish church. C15 and C16 possibly with some C14 fabric, restored in 1902-3. Roughly squared sandstone rubble walls with granite dressings. Gable-ended tile roof. Plan: nave, south aisle and chapel, north transept, west tower and south porch. The church is basically a Perpendicular building but the transept may represent the remains of a C14 structure and there is evidence of Norman origins. The south aisle was probably an early C16 addition. By 1902 the building had become dilapidated and its thorough restoration entailed a partial rebuilding under the direction of Revd. Medley Fulford and Mr. Lucius Reichel. The work involved a restoration of the nave roof, part of the south wall rebuilt, re-laying of the floor and re-seating. Exterior: 3 stage crenellated west tower with diagonal buttreses and obelisk pinnacles. 4-centred heads to 2-light belfry openings. 4-centre arched granite west doorway with hollow and ogee-moulding and inscribed scroll stops. C18 fielded panel door. West window has had its mullions and tracery renewed in Perpendicular style. North wall of nave has tall 3-light C17 straight-headed granite mullion windows. The north transept has a large lateral stone stack on west wall and possible C14 Decorated 2-light north window. It has a C15 2-light east window. The north window to the chancel is similar style but smaller and partly restored. East window is a complete early C20 restoration in Perpendicular style. Small inset slate plaque to left of window commemorates James Lake, rector 1708. South aisle has tall C16 3-light granite mullions with segmental heads and buttresses inbetween wnich date from the restoration. Very shallow arched granite priest's door. Restored Perpendicular window at west end of aisle. Gabled south porch with 4- centred granite doorway wnich has double chamfered head and moulded jambs with capitals. Early C19 panelled gates with spikes above. Interior: porch has plain early wagon roof partly repaired. Very tall granite south doorway with depressed 4-centred head, ogee and hollow moulding and ball stops. Internal walls have C20 plaster apart from chancel which is lined with dressed Hatherleigh stone. 5-bay tall granite south arcade of Pevsner A-type piers with 4-centred moulded arches on capitals carved with raised diamond motif. Very tall tower arch with 4- centred double-chamfered head. No chancel arch. Simple rubble arch to transept. In transept is piscina wnich re-uses as its head a piece of stone carved with Norman zig-zag design. South aisle has good wagon roof with carved ribs, bosses and wall- plate. Renewed arch-braced roof to nave, chancel and transept probably of 1902. Unusual C18 screen divides aisle from chapel with 2 tall roundheaded panels bearing quotations from the Bible and with fluted pilaster to either side of central doorway. Modern carved pulpit with C17 cupola-shaped sounding board above. C17 altar rails with moulded handrail and turned balusters now stand in front of font. Octagonal C15 granite font with stringcourse at top of shaft carved with trefoiled panels. Good slate memorial on north wall to members of Coham family who died at various times 1722 - 1768. To left and right at top of panel are coloured heraldic shields. Beyond is another simpler memorial to Stephen Coham buried 1757. At the west end is a long slate memorial with white fluted column to either side and cornice above. Surmounted by armorial shield. Inscription on round-headed marble slab to William Holland Coham Rector of Halwill who died 1852. On south wall are 3 more simpler early C19 memorials. Sources: Beatrix Cresswell Notes on Devon Churches in the Deanery of Holsworthy.
Listing NGR: SS4649305709
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Cresswell, B F, Notes on Devon Churches in the Deanery of Holsworthy
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.