Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1105124

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1988

Statutory Address: THE DOWNES HOUSE


Ordnance survey map of THE DOWNES HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105124 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 15:54:43.


Statutory Address: THE DOWNES HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge (District Authority)

Parish: Monkleigh

National Grid Reference: SS 47180 21310


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


MONKLEIGH SS4721 16/157 The Downes House II Farmhouse, now house. c. 1850. Coursed slatestone rubble; hipped slate roof with deep eaves; stone ridge and end stacks. Double-depth plan. Late Georgian style. 2 storeys; symmetrical 3-window range. Portico with Tuscan columns, its entablature surmounted by classical balustrade; half-glazed double-leaf doors set in moulded wood architrave. 12-pane sashes set in stuccoed and beaded architraves; sashes also have pelmet boards with Gothic-style cusping and quatrefoils. Side walls, each of 3 bays, have some 12-pane sashes. Round-arched stair-light with tall sash to rear. Service wing to rear left has sashes on left side wall. Interior: mid C19 panelled doors. Central full-depth hall has dog-leg staircase with stick balusters and wreathed handrail. Mid C19 fireplaces: room to right of hall has Adam-style fireplace and plasterwork. The house is shown on the 1842 Tithe Map. According to the 1857 Billings Directory it was rebuilt for George Cooper, the land agent for the Pine-Coffin family estate. (Billings Directory, 1857; 1842 Tithe Map in Devon Record office)

Listing NGR: SS4718021310


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 91475

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing