Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1105143

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Oct-1988



Ordnance survey map of GREAT HUXHILL FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105143 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 10:29:41.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge (District Authority)

Parish: Weare Giffard

National Grid Reference: SS 49418 23497


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WEARE GIFFARD SS42SE 7/202 Great Huxhill 4.10.60 Farmhouse (formerly listed as Great Huxhill) GV. II Farmhouse. Early C17 with probable medieval origins. Dormer windows have date C/W.S/1776. Colourwashed render over cob and stone; gabled late C19 slate roof; rendered stone ridge stack, and rear lateral stack; lateral stack to left side wall of cross wing. 3-unit plan with ridge stack adjoining through passage, which has hall to left and service range with medieval cruck to right; cross-wing to left housed domestic chamber block. Front has 2-story gable end of cross wing to left of main range of one storey and attic; 4-window range. Fine C17 ribbed and panelled door with strap hinges to through passage, set in ovolo-moulded and hollow-chamfered architrave with urn stops. Early C17 ovolo-moulded wood-mullioned fenestration of 5-light window to right, 4-light window to left with chamfered king mullion, 3 gabled dormers, one dated 1776, have late C19 two-light casements. Gabled front of cross wing to left has C17 ovolo-moulded wood-mullioned 4-light window above similar but larger 4-light window with chamfered king mullion. Rear gable of cross wing has C17 plank door set in ovolo-moulded frame; C17 ovolo-moulded wood- mullioned 3-light window in right gable end. Interior: through-passage has C17 panelled door to cupboard under stairs, and C17 beaded plank door to hall on left. Hall has ovolo-moulded beam and wall beams with raised-tongue stops; C17 ribbed door to C17 straight-flight staircase with turned balusters to partition framing its side. Chamfered beams and C19 straight-flight stairs (in C17 position) to two rooms on right. Room over hall has C17 plank doors with original latches; C17 plank door to room over through-passage and central room, which has C17 two-panelled door with original lock to closet above front door. Similar C17 door next to closet enters 3 smaller rooms over right end of house: these rooms have C17 plank doors and part of late medieval raised cruck incorporated within central transverse partition. Cross wing to left: C17 plank doors with moulded ribs set in chamfered and ovolo-moulded frames; C17 quarter-turn stairs with winders. C17 roof not inspected but noted as being conventional A-frame type. Many important features (notably open fireplaces and partition walls) have been obscured but Great Huxhill Farmhouse is a remarkably well-preserved example of an early C17 farmhouse. Most of the farmbuildings (q.v.) have also survived.

Listing NGR: SS4941823497


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 91521

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing