This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST GREGORY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST GREGORY

List entry Number: 1105177

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST GREGORY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Frithelstock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 91405

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FRITHELSTOCK SS41NE 11/89 Church of St. Mary 4.10.60 and St. Gregory GV. I Anglican Parish Church. C13 north wall; chancel rebuilt and south aisle built in early C14; c. 1500 south-east chapel and roofs, and west tower rebuilt in C15. Coursed slatestone rubble; squared and coursed stone to tower; ashlar dressings. Stone-gabled and gabled slate roofs. Plan: Chancel with south chapel, nave with south aisle and west tower. Chancel has fine early C14 east window, of 3-lights with cinquefoiled lights and circular upper light with 3 spheric triangles. Three-bay north wall of nave has hood moulds over early C14 two-light Decorated windows, with rectilinear-tracery windows flanking curvilinear- tracery centre window. South-east chapel has mid C19 buttresses and mid C19 Decorated-style .3-light east window, which replaced C15 Perpendicular window; 2-bay south wall has C16 plank and studded priest' s door set in chamfered pointed arch and label moulds over c. 1500 three-light round-arched windows with hollow-moulded mullions and casement-moulded architrave. Two-bay south wall of nave has hood moulds over late C15 three-light Perpendicular windows, and Perpendicular-style window dated 1884 in west gable. Late C15 south porch has crenellated parapet with openwork frieze pierced with quatrefoils; sundial dated 1741 above pointed-arched hollow-moulded doorway with Perpendicular capitals to engaged columns; reset C12 stoup adjoins early C14 pointed-arched moulded doorway to inner door, which is a late C18 panelled door with a C14 sanctuary knocker. C15 four-stage tower has offset diagonal buttresses and string courses; 3-light Perpendicular window, partly restored in C19, above studded door dated 1676 set in C15 pointed-arched moulded doorway; label moulds over 2-light cinquefoiled windows, with slate louvres to belfry; crenellated parapet with C18 pinnacles. Interior: late C15 waggon roofs throughout with moulded ribs and floral-carved bosses. 5-bay south arcade: two-bays to south-east chapel are of c. 1500 and have hollow-chamfered capitals and piers; three early C14 bays to west, between nave and south aisle, have similar piers with more pronounced wave-moulding, crocketed canopies over image niches, and foliate-carved capitals including Green Man and vine trail. Early C14 moulded and pointed arched doorway to rood stairs. Royal Arms to north nave wall, of fine plasterwork framed by Corinthian columns, by John Abbot, 1677. Fittings: late C15 and early C16 bench ends and fronts in choir and south east chapel; are carved with tracery patterns, foliate ribs, heraldry, which include the arms of Hartland Abbey (owner of Frithelstock Priory) and crowned double-rose of Henry VII, Instruments of the Passion, Tudor rose and figures including man with liripipe; some bench ends are made of roughly-adzed oak. Late C17 pulpit has reeded pilasters framing blind arches with egg and dart carving to architraves, reset on late Cl9 base. Late C17 parish chest with guilloche carving. C13 quatrefoil-shaped font with cabled herringbone decoration to stem; reset on late C19 base. Late C18 west screen has 3 pointed-arched doorways and panelled doors. C17 Barnstaple tiles and late medieval inlaid tiles on nave and choir floors. Monuments: C17/18 slate ledger stones, including memorials to Gay family of Cloister Hall Farm (q.v.). Tablet dated 1794 in south east chapel. Stained glass: mid C19. The church adjoins the C13 ruins of an Augustinian Priory. (q.v). (Buildings of England: North Devon, pp. 88-9; National Monuments Record; C.A. Ralegh, Radford, "Frithelstock Priory and the Parish Church", Proceedings of the Devon Archaelogical Exploration Society, Vol. 2, (Part One), 1933, pp. 26-7).

Listing NGR: SS4636619546

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Devon North, (1952), 88-89
'Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Exploration Society' in Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Exploration Society, , Vol. 2, (1933), 26-27

National Grid Reference: SS 46364 19546

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105177 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 01:09:13.

End of official listing