This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CLOISTER HALL FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL, GATEWAY AND OUTBUILDING

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLOISTER HALL FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL, GATEWAY AND OUTBUILDING

List entry Number: 1105178

Location

CLOISTER HALL FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL, GATEWAY AND OUTBUILDING

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Frithelstock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 91407

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FRITHELSTOCK SS41NE 11/91 Cloister Hall Farmhouse and attached wall, gateway and outbuilding GV. II Prior's house, now farmhouse. C14 origins; early C17 alterations; late C17 extension; front wing refronted and remodelled in late C19. Rendered coursed slatestone rubble, except front wall rebuilt late C19 in squared and coursed slatestone. Gabled slate roofs; C19 stone ridge and end stacks to front range. Plan form and development: front range may be former C15 hall range, because it retains thick walls and traces of a blocked former window in the right gable; the adjoining through-passage and former service room lie in a block attached to the rear; to the right of this is a late C17 kitchen. Front elevation of 2-storey, 3-window range with projecting gable end to left. Late C19 porch has pointed-arched doorway flanked by lancets: the late C19 arch-braced roof inside has a C15 moulded cornice; late C15 granite doorway has label mould over moulded-arched architrave with sunk spandrels. Late C19 label moulds over late C19 two-light casements with glazing bars. Rear wing: early C17 studded and panelled door to left side wall with original iron clasping ring, set in ovolo-moulded frame; late C19 stained glass window to left brought here in 1970's. Early/mid C19 dairy outshut to rear, with plank door. Interior: front range, remodelled in late C19, has fireplace dated 1680, with lonic columns and richly-carved decoration, in ground-floor room to left, which was brought here in 1970s. Rear wing: through-passage has chamfered ogee-stopped joists and C17 studded door set in C16 convex-moulded architrave to right; tall room to rear of through passage occupies former ground and first-floor levels and has reset C17 plank and stud partition to right; first-floor level has chamfered beams and C17 plank door set in chamfered ogee-stopped frame to front range of house; 2 jointed crucks with trenched purlins, cambered lap-jointed collar to one truss, and straight principal rafters. Late C17 block added to right side of the rear wing has former kitchen on ground floor, with chamfered beam and stop-chamfered bressummer over open fireplace. Subsidiary features: C17 L-shaped wall, of coursed slatestone rubble with some cob, is attached to rear left and has a C17 gateway with Welsh slate roof and C17 studded and panelled door set in ovolo-moulded architrave. Extending at right angles from the rear right corner of the house is an outbuilding which was probably the former dorter range of Frithelstock Priory (q.v) and which encloses the north side of the former cloister. Built of uncoursed limestone rubble with cob beneath eaves; yellow brick dressings to rear wall of late C19 stable added to right; hipped Welsh slate roof. History; the Prior's Hall is probably C14 in origin for a Bishop's Visitation of 1400 mentioned the Prior's Room and Great Hall, an earlier record having admonished the Prior for retreating from the communal life. (C.A. Ralegh Radford, "Frithelstock Priory and the Parish Church", Proceedings of the Devon Archaelogical Exploration Society, Vol. 2 (part one), 1933, p. 21 (note).)

Listing NGR: SS4637219589

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Exploration Society' in Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Exploration Society, , Vol. 2, (1933), 21

National Grid Reference: SS 46368 19582

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105178 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2017 at 05:11:03.

End of official listing