CHURCH OF ST PETROCK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1105205
Date first listed:
22-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETROCK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETROCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105205 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 12:14:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETROCK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Inwardleigh
National Grid Reference:
SX 56010 99444

Details

INWARDLEIGH INWARDLEIGH SX 59 NE 10/145 Church of St Petrock - 22.2.67 GV II* Parish church. Late C15 and early C16 restored in 1899. Stone rubble walls, rendered to tower. Gable ended slate roof. Plan: nave, chancel, north aisle, west tower and south porch. Aisle may he an early C16 addition. Exterior: 3 stage west tower with diagonal buttresses, crenellated with crocketted pinnacles which have fleur de lys finials. 2-light segmental-headed belfry openings. Plain chamfered granite west doorway with 2-centred arch. Simple 2-light mullion window with roundheaded lights above. North aisle has 3 early C16 3-light granite mullion windows with round heads and square hoodmoulds. Granite north doorway is recessed behind heavy square-headed frame with large hoodmould - it has 2 centred head with large quatrefoils in spandrels and carved jambs. Image niche above with 2-centred head. East end of aisle has 3-light Perpendicular granite window. Chancel east window is 3-light Perpendicular restoration in red sandstone. South side of chancel has very narrow 4-centred head priest's doorway with square hoodmould and carved date which is now illegible. 2-light C15 cinquefoil headed mullion window to its left. Single storey gabled south porch has rebuilt 2-centred arched doorway with projecting imposts. Interior: porch has restored wagon roof. South doorway has restored 2-centred head and original granite jambs with pyramid stops. Internal walls have C20 render. 4- bay granite arcade of Pevsner A-type piers with moulded cup capitals and 4-centred arches. Plain tower arch. No chancel arch. C19 boarded wagon roofs. Some old glass survives in east window of aisle with human figures. Good Norman cushion font with flower and star carving on panels, bands of ornament to shaft and plait moulding at base. Several slate floor memorials survive of C16, C17 and C18 dates. Source: Beatrix Cresswell - Churches in the Deanery of Okehampton Kelly's Directory 1906.

Listing NGR: SX5601099444

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
93258
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cresswell, B F, Notes on Devon Churches in the Deanery of Okehampton, (1906)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1906)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12836/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Sue Bizley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].