This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SMALL HALL IMMEDIATELY TO NORTH-EAST OF CHURCHYARD GATE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SMALL HALL IMMEDIATELY TO NORTH-EAST OF CHURCHYARD GATE

List entry Number: 1105251

Location

SMALL HALL IMMEDIATELY TO NORTH-EAST OF CHURCHYARD GATE, MARKET STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hatherleigh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Feb-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 93164

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HATHERLEIGH MARKET STREET, (north side), SS 5404 Hatherleigh 11/56 Small hall immediately to - north-east of Churchyard Gate II GV

Small hall possibly originally for use as Sunday School or similar purpose. Date stone of 1856 but is likely to be either a rebuild of one of the medieval collegiate buildings connected with the church, or built on the site of one. Roughly coursed sandstone rubble walls, rendered on 2 sides. Gable ended slate roof. Plan: rectangular 1-room plan with entry in gable end. Exterior: 1 storey. Gable end entry has central 2-centred moulded stone doorway with carved initials above. Plank door. Below gable is quatrefoil opening with stone shield in it bearing the initials J.S.S. and W.S. and the date 1866. On each of the long sides is a 2-light window with 2-centred head lights and square hoodmoulds. Interior not inspected.

Listing NGR: SS5413104566

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 54132 04566

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105251 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2017 at 12:21:42.

End of official listing