THE OLD COURT ROOM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1105252

Date first listed: 29-Feb-1988

Statutory Address: THE OLD COURT ROOM, 37, MARKET STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD COURT ROOM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105252 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 02:40:01.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD COURT ROOM, 37, MARKET STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Hatherleigh

National Grid Reference: SS 54167 04544

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HATHERLEIGH MARKET STREET, (north side), SS 5404 Hatherleigh 11/60 No. 37 (The Old Court Room) - II GV

House. Probably C17 origins but much remodelled in early C19. Plastered walls. Gable ended slate roof. Plan: probably only part of the original house which must formerly have extended at either or both ends. It now comprises a large room with through passage to its right. C19 or C20 rear additions. Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window front of early C19 16-pane sashes. Contemporary reeded doorcase at right-hand end with dentilled cornice and panelled reveals. Fielded 6-panel door. Interior: the ground and first floors appear featureless although some may be concealed. Surviving in the loft is an early C19 segmental plaster ceiling with simple cornice moulding. In the early moulding. was used as a meeting hall, established in 1821 as "the Public Subscription rooms" and in 1853 became used as the court of Petty Sessions with some cells being built on at the rear. Source: A Oddie (present owner).

Listing NGR: SS5416604547

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 93168

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing