TOWN HALL INCLUDING AREA RAILINGS AT FRONT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1105310
Date first listed:
08-Oct-1987
Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL INCLUDING AREA RAILINGS AT FRONT, THE SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWN HALL INCLUDING AREA RAILINGS AT FRONT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105310 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 10:02:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL INCLUDING AREA RAILINGS AT FRONT, THE SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
North Tawton
National Grid Reference:
SS 66394 01750

Details

NORTH TAWTON THE SQUARE, North Tawton SS 60 SE 13/123 Town Hall including area railings at front GV II Town hall. Dated 1849. Sandstone ashlar. Gable ended slate roof with 2 gables at front. Plan: double depth with central entrance hall and room either side. Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-window front with pedimented gables over the right and left-hand bays, the bays divided by stone pilasters and with stringcourses at the floor and eaves level. Original sash windows which have depressed 2-centred arched heads and projecting keystones. Ground floor right-hand window is C20 facsimile. Central doorway with similar arched head and keystone inscribed "J Parish builder 1849". C20 panelled double doors behind. Interior: not inspected. To include area railings at front left and right with spear heads to the shafts and stanchions.

Listing NGR: SS6639401747

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
93006
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12222/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terry Abbiss. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].