NICHOLS NYMET HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1105331

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: NICHOLS NYMET HOUSE, NORTH TAWTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of NICHOLS NYMET HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105331 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 08:50:18.

Location

Statutory Address: NICHOLS NYMET HOUSE, NORTH TAWTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon (District Authority)

Parish: North Tawton

National Grid Reference: SS 69224 02287

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/02/2013

SS 60 SE 6/71 22.2.67

NORTH TAWTON Nichols Nymet House

(Formerly listed as Nichols Nymet House Hotel)

GV II

Country house, previously a hotel. Dated 1816 with later C19 additions. Rendered stone rubble walls with rusticated stucco quoins at front. Shallow pitched hipped slate roof with wide overhanging eaves. 2 rendered axial stacks symmetrically placed. Plan: double depth plan with rooms arranged around central large stairhall. Principal rooms at front and side. Service rooms at rear. Kitchen behind left-hand front room. Later C19 additions at the rear and left-hand side. Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-window front with original hornless sash windows - 20 panes on the ground floor and 16:12:16 panes on first floor, the central one with an arched head. The central section is recessed slightly and has original double part-glazed doors with semi-circular fanlight above. This is under an open-fronted verandah-type porch with slender iron pillars. The 2 outer sections have splayed corners and on the left-hand one is an inscribed date-stone of 1816. The right-hand elevation has a 2-storey hipped roof porch with C19 glazed doors. Later C19 leantos at rear. Interior: entrance hall has 3 tall arches at rear on wooden columns, the central wider one is over the staircase. The staircase is original with open string, square balusters and turned newels. The former kitchen has a large open fireplace.



Listing NGR: SS6922402287

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 92954

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing