CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1105436
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105436 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 20:54:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Buckland Monachorum
National Park:
DARTMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SX 52087 67742

Details

BUCKLAND MONACHORUM YELVERTON SX 56 NW 4/92 Church of St. Paul - GV II

Church. 1910 - 1912 by Nicholson and Corlette. Slate rubble walls with granite and bath stone dressings. Gable ended slate roof to nave and chancel, and to porch, lean-to roofs to aisles. Nave, north and south aisles, north chapel with tower in north east corner, vestry to south of chancel. Porch at west end of the north side of the north aisle. Windows are all in the Decorated style with reticulated tracery, 3 to each aisle. The tower is slightly set in from the north-east corner and is 3 stage with prominent granite quoins and battlements; at its base is a foundation stone of 1910. Vestry projects to south of chancel. Porch at north-west corner has arched doorway. Interior is relatively plain apart from the painted roofs. It is completely lined with Ham Hill stone and the piers of the very tall 4 bay arcades are of the same stone in Perpendicular style. Plain chancel arch. The wagon roofs over the nave and chancel and the flat roofs over the aisles are quite elaborately painted in red, white and black with the bosses gilded. The original seats in the nave do not survive.

Listing NGR: SX5208767742

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
92695
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Jul 2005
Reference: IOE01/14343/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David J. Rippon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].