PLACE BARTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1105456

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1987

Statutory Address: PLACE BARTON HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PLACE BARTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105456 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 08:12:56.

Location

Statutory Address: PLACE BARTON HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Buckland Monachorum

National Grid Reference: SX 48856 66811

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUCKLAND MONACHORUM BUCKLAND ABBEY SX 46 NE 3/127 Place Barton House

GV II

House, originally farmhouse. Circa 1840-1850 (not marked on the Tithe map). Stone rubble walls. Hipped slate roof. Rendered brick stack at left-hand end and axial stack to main block ; similar end stack to right-hand wing. Double depth plan of front block with parallel rear wings of equal size. At front is large heated room to left with stairhall to its right and smaller heated room beyond. At the rear of this block is a large heated room to the right. Probably service rooms to its left and in rear wings. 2 storeys with cellar. Almost symmetrical 3-window front of original small paned 3- light casements with stone arches above. Central bay breaks forward slightly with porch supported at front on wooden pillars which has deep moulded cornice and hipped roof. 2 parallel wings run back from either side each projects outwards slightly from the main block and also preserves the original windows. At the rear a wall joins the 2 wings with a central doorway forming a small courtyard which has had leantos built onto the house walls. Interior not inspected but believed to contain original features such as staircase and fireplaces. This building has a very unaltered exterior and appears to preserve much of its original plan form.

Listing NGR: SX4885666811

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 92646

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing