THE GIFT HOUSE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- THE GIFT HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105461 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 06:42:37.
- Statutory Address:
- THE GIFT HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- West Devon (District Authority)
- Buckland Monachorum
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 49008 68177
BUCKLAND MONACHORUM BUCKLAND MONACHORUM
SX 46 NE
3/58 The Gift House
House, originally reputedly almshouses. C17, possibly 1661, with C20 extension. Stone rubble walls with granite dressings. Gable ended slate roof. 2 rendered gable stacks. Original plan of 2 rooms heated by gable end stacks, central passage and small unheated room in a wing at rear. Winder stairs adjoining this wing in projection behind right-hand room. Extended in C20 on the side of the rear wing. 2 storeys. Regular 2 window front of 2 light granite mullion windows, probably partially restored in C19. Round-headed chamfered granite arched doorway at centre may be original. Above it is a square-headed niche with an arched niche either side, all are empty. At rear is wing to the right with gabled dormer window on its inner face; the wing has been extended in late C20 on the right-hand side. To the left of the wing is a shallow rectangular stair projection. Interior preserves a number of good quality original features. The left-hand room has a ceiling of heavy cross beams, chamfered with hollow step stops; similarly decorated joists inbetween, some have been renewed. The beam above the passage partition has mortices in its soffit showing it was orginally the head-beam for a screen. The passage has joists with moulded edges. Original square-headed wooden doorframe survives from passage into right-hand room, it is chamfered with worn stops. Contemporary plank and studded door with beading to edges of planks and strap hinges; the right-hand room has heavy chamfered cross-beams, a pyramid stop is visible on one; joists in between have moulded edges. Original winder stairs have chamfered newel posts and simple hand rail at top with worn chamfer to newel and small rough finial. Another C17 door survives on the 1st floor similar to that on ground floor. Roof trusses are circa late C17/early C18: substantial principal rafters with trenched purlins, morticed apex and collars halved onto the trusses; there is a similar truss over the rear wing. According to documentary evidence in 1661 Sir Francis Drake, the 2nd Baronet, left £120 to build an almshouse near the church for 'six' pious persons, born and bred in the Parish" and this document reputedly refers to The Gift House. Source: "Buckland Bonachorum" - Alice Bere
Listing NGR: SX4900868177
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Bere, A, 'Devon Hearth Tax' in Buckland Monachorum, ()
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.