This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1105484



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bere Ferrers

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 92614

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


BERE FERRERS STATION ROAD, (Bere Alston) SX 46 NW 2/25 Maynard School (Bere Alston County Primary) 21.3.67

- II

School. Dated 1665, considerably altered and extended in C19. Rendered rubble walls with chamfered plinth. Gable ended asbestos slate roof with decorative ridge tiles. Plan originally probably comprised 2 large school rooms, either side of an entrance passage, the left-hand room ran back at right angles. It is not clear whether the original building incorporated accommodation for the schoolmaster or pupils. Adjoin- ing rear wing which may be original as a thin brick wall divides it from the C19 rear wing to its right. One storey with inserted attic. Asymmetrical 3 window front with a projecting gable to left which has tall 4-light chamfered granite mullion window with arched heads and square hoodmould. To its right is segmental headed granite doorway with roll moulding and scroll stops, carved leaf design to spandrels and flower motif to labels of hoodmould. Date stone of 1665 above. Probably C19 ribbed plank door. To its right are 2 3-light granite mullion windows, chamfered and square-headed with hoodmoulds. At rear of this section is smaller similar 2 light window without hoodmould re-used in an outshut. At right gable end is similar window to that at front of bay. 2 gabled rear wings have C19 casements of 4 and 2 lights with reproduction hoodmoulds and there are similar windows along the left-hand side of the building. No original features visible internally. This building was founded as a charity school for 8 pupils by Sir John Maynard who was Lord of the manor 1646 until his death in 1690. It is the oldest known purpose- built school building in Devon. Source: present Headmaster of school.

Listing NGR: SX4437566972

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 44375 66972


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105484 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 12:26:23.

End of official listing