POUND HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1105488
Date first listed:
21-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
POUND HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of POUND HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105488 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 20:58:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
POUND HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Buckland Monachorum
National Grid Reference:
SX 50391 68637

Details

BUCKLAND MONACHORUM SX 56 NW 4/35 Pound House 21.3.67

GV II

Country house. Dated 1781 built probably on an earlier site, with C19 and C20 additions. Stone rubble walls. Slate hung to the 2 main fronts, otherwise rendered. Hipped slate roof. 7 slate hung stacks, 3 are lateral, 3 are end stacks, one is an axial stack and there is a later rendered shaft at the rear. Unusual plan form roughly H-shaped with asymmetrical arrangement of rooms. Off- centre entrance passage leads to a long hall which runs along the rear of the main block and has the staircase at its right-hand end. One room to either side of the entrance passage, the largest one to the left. At either end a wing projects to the front originally probably with service rooms in the right-hand one and 2 principal rooms in the left-hand wing which also extended slightly to the rear of the main block. A large mid C19 addition was built at the right-hand end although partially demolished earlier in the C20. In 1938 a further extension was added at the rear of the left-hand side. 2 storeys with attic. Almost symmetrical 3 bay 2:5:2 window front with outer bays projecting. All windows are circa late C19/early C20 2-pane sashes; blind windows at the front of the left-hand wing. Pedimented porch to right of centre has columns at front pilasters at rear with medallion cornice; the doorway has stone pilasters and round-headed arch with projecting keystone; probably original 6-panelled door with semi-circular fanlight. In the angle between the main block and either wing is a lead rain-water head date 1781 with the initials I.L. The left-hand wing has a modillion cornice. The left-hand front has a central pediment and a symmetrical front of 1:4:1 windows identical to those at the front. The central pedimented bay breaks forward slightly with a Diocletian window at the top. At the left-hand end is the 1938 extension arcaded on the ground floor. Interior: The original staircase survives in the hall with open string, wreathed handrail, column newel and column as vane balusters. The tread ends are decoratively carved. The room in the front left-hand wing has an ornate cornice and ceiling band which may be early C19; the chimney piece is slightly earlier in style with central classical panel, reeded frieze and flower pendants to the pilasters more typical of the date of the house. Internally the house has several arches in the corridor and hall similar to that forming the front doorcase. The principal rooms have panelled shutters and those in the room to the left of the passage are probably original with fielded panels.

Listing NGR: SX5039168637

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
92627
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].