VENTON FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1105491
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1987
Statutory Address:
VENTON FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of VENTON FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105491 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 10:59:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
VENTON FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Buckland Monachorum
National Grid Reference:
SX 49732 67086

Details

BUCKLAND MONACHORUM SX 46 NE 3/40 Venton Farmhouse - GV II

Farmhouse. Probably late C16/early C17 altered in 1688 with C19 extension and C20 alterations. Rendered stone rubble walls with half-hipped asbestos slate roof. 2 rendered rubble axial stacks, left-hand one has drip-course. 3-room and through or cross passage plan with unheated lower room to the left. Hall stack backs onto passage, axial inner room stack, probably inserted into formerly unheated room. Outshut added behind lower room probably in 1688, the date of the front plaque which refers to a remodelling. Rear parallel block built on probably in the C19 flush with the outshut behind hall and inner room. Interior remodelled in C20, plan relatively unaltered but original features obscured. 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window front of circa mid C20 2-light wooden casements. To left of centre is original 4-centred granite arched doorway, chamfered with worn stops. Above it is carved granite plaque with date 1688 inscribed either side of a carved heart with initials I.K. at centre and W above. Set back behind doorway is C19 panelled and glazed door. At left-hand end is corbelled first floor chimney stack, truncated at the roof apex. Late C17 outshut at rear of left-hand end has single granite framed light on gable end. At rear the C19 addition extends to left of outshut. Interior: No early features visible, but some are likely to be concealed by later alterations. Roof timbers not inspected.

Listing NGR: SX4973267086

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
92632
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].