PAIR OF HEADSTONES (CHOWEN AND GUSCOTT) ABOUT 14 METRES NORTH OF THE WEST WALL OF THE TOWER OF THE CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1105496
Date first listed:
07-Nov-1985
Statutory Address:
PAIR OF HEADSTONES (CHOWEN AND GUSCOTT) ABOUT 14 METRES NORTH OF THE WEST WALL OF THE TOWER OF THE CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of PAIR OF HEADSTONES (CHOWEN AND GUSCOTT) ABOUT 14 METRES NORTH OF THE WEST WALL OF THE TOWER OF THE CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105496 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 02:19:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
PAIR OF HEADSTONES (CHOWEN AND GUSCOTT) ABOUT 14 METRES NORTH OF THE WEST WALL OF THE TOWER OF THE CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Stowford
National Grid Reference:
SX 43261 87051

Details

SSX 48 NW STOWFORD STOWFORD

3/300 Pair of headstones (Chowen and - Guscott) about 14m north of the west wall of the tower of the Church of St John the Baptist

GV II

Pair of headstones. Late C18. Slate. The northern headstone is nowy-headed with canted corners and commemorates Thomas Chowen, buried 1779. Elaborate initial letter to inscription, pot of flowers carved in the head. To the south and slightly to the west is a headstone with a scrolly head commemorating Elizabeth Guscott, died 1797. Verse below inscription and 2 cherubim carved in head holding palms and a crown of glory.

Listing NGR: SX4326587050

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
92541
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/08089/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr W. Wesley Colwill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].