GROUP OF 3 SOPER HEADSTONES ABOUT 11 METRES EAST OF THE EAST WALL OF THE CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1105511
Date first listed:
07-Nov-1985
Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 3 SOPER HEADSTONES ABOUT 11 METRES EAST OF THE EAST WALL OF THE CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF 3 SOPER HEADSTONES ABOUT 11 METRES EAST OF THE EAST WALL OF THE CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105511 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 18:45:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 3 SOPER HEADSTONES ABOUT 11 METRES EAST OF THE EAST WALL OF THE CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Thrushelton
National Grid Reference:
SX 44758 87608

Details

SX 48 NW THRUSHELTON THRUSHELTON

3/339 Group of 3 Soper headstones about - 11m east of the east wall of the church of St George

GV II

Group of 3 headstones. Early and late C18. Slate 2 headstones face west, 1 faces east. The northern of the west-facing headstones commemorates Richard Soper, buried 1735 and is round-headed with scratch mouldings and elaborate initial letters to the inscription. The southern commemorates John Soper of Broadley, buried 1704 and is similar in design with a fleur de lis carved in the head. The third headstone is about 2 metres west and commemorates Ann Soper, buried 1781, with a stepped head and a verse below the inscription.

Listing NGR: SX4475187607

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
92582
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/03994/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Rex L. Haythornthwaite. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].