STATUE ABOUT 5 METRES SOUTH OF THE MANOR HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1105585
Date first listed:
07-Nov-1985
Statutory Address:
STATUE ABOUT 5 METRES SOUTH OF THE MANOR HOTEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of STATUE ABOUT 5 METRES SOUTH OF THE MANOR HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105585.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 22:10:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
STATUE ABOUT 5 METRES SOUTH OF THE MANOR HOTEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Lewtrenchard
National Grid Reference:
SX 45882 86054

Details

SX 48 NE LEW TRENCHARD LEW TRENCHARD

4/108 Statue about 5m south of the Manor - Hotel

GV II

Statue on column. Late C19. Bronze statue on granite column with moulded base and cap. Statue probably German, of a gooseherd holding a goose under each arm. The Reverend Sabine Baring-Gould (1834-1924) was both squire and parson at Lew Trenchard from 1881 to his death. He rebuilt Lew House, now the Manor Hotel, incorporating fittings collected both locally and in Europe. His own description of the house refers to this statue "... the herbaceous borders full of flowers, a granite fountain, always playing, with the figure of an Alastian gooseherd, imagine it on a sunlit evening". Included for group value with Manor Hotel.

Listing NGR: SX4588386057

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
92354
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04429/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Rex L. Haythornthwaite. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].