DOVECOTE ABOUT 10 METRES NORTH WEST OF THE MANOR HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1105586

Date first listed: 07-Nov-1985

Statutory Address: DOVECOTE ABOUT 10 METRES NORTH WEST OF THE MANOR HOTEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of DOVECOTE ABOUT 10 METRES NORTH WEST OF THE MANOR HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105586 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 23:56:38.

Location

Statutory Address: DOVECOTE ABOUT 10 METRES NORTH WEST OF THE MANOR HOTEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Lewtrenchard

National Grid Reference: SX 45855 86095

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 48 NE LEW TRENCHARD LEW TRENCHARD

4/110 Dovecote about 10m north west of - the Manor Hotel

GV II*

Dovecot. Late C19 designed by Sabine Baring-Gould for himself. Dressed stone with granite dressings and scantle slate roof. Remarkable design, semi-circular to the front but flat to the rear with steeply-pitched conical roof gabled to the rear and crowned by a pinnacle. 2 stages to dovecot marked by roll-moulded granite rat-guard string. At the front the roof is carried out over exposed rafters. Gablerd entrance for birds in roof at front has a rectangular granite opening below a grand semi- circular pediment crowned by an obelisk pinnacle. Similar pinnacles to either side of the pediment. Dove holes in front have semi-circular granite flight ledges carried on granite corbels. To the rear the gable is filled with characteristic Baring-Gould slate-hanging carried out over moulded bressumers. Door at rear. The dovecot is an important foil to the pavilion at the south east of the house (see Manor Hotel). The Reverend Sabine Baring-Gould (1834-1924) was both squire and parson at Lew Trenchard from 1881 until his death, and rebuilt Lew House, now the Manor Hotel. He was a High Churchman, antiquarian and prolific author of fiction and theological works.

Listing NGR: SX4584586097

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 92356

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing