Former Yorkshire United Independent College

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1105647
Date first listed:
09-Aug-1983
Statutory Address:
Former Yorkshire United Independent College, Emm Lane, Bradford, BD9 4JL

Map

Ordnance survey map of Former Yorkshire United Independent College
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105647 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 20:08:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
Former Yorkshire United Independent College, Emm Lane, Bradford, BD9 4JL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 14811 35591

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15/08/2019

SE 1435 22/487

Heaton BD9 EMM LANE Former Yorkshire United Independent College

(Formerly listed as Management Training Centre, University of Bradford)

II Built 1874-1877 for the Congregationalist Airedale College which became the Yorkshire United Independent College in 1888, and from 1963 until 2019, part of Bradford University.

These college buildings, approached by a drive and carriage sweep from Emm Lane, were designed by Lockwood and Mawson. C13 geometrical tracery Gothic sandstone "brick" with ashlar dressings. Slightly asymmetrical multi-gabled composition with chapel wing to east and central projecting gabled bay with flanking pinnacled turrets, tripartite arcaded porch and large shafted oriel window above the main windows, at first floor level on the wings, rise into the gables. Master's residence to north end with two storey oriel bay front and set back tower with steep pavilion roof, iron cresting. Steep slate roofs throughout, grouped octagonal shaft chimneys, pointed lead capped ventilators, crocketed finials to gables.

Listing NGR: SE1481135591

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
336409
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12902/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Pennie Keech. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].