TENNIS COURT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1105651

Date first listed: 27-Nov-1963

Statutory Address: TENNIS COURT, KYBALD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of TENNIS COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105651 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 13:40:59.

Location

Statutory Address: TENNIS COURT, KYBALD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 51735 06154

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KYBALD 3TEEET 1. 1485 (South Side) Tennis Court SP 5106 SE 9/357A 27.11.63. II GV 2. The court is shown on this site in a map dated 1675 although in its present form it was probably rebuilt about 1798. The ancient game of Tennis has always been closely connected with Oxford and is first mentioned there in 1508. This is the only remaining court in Oxford still in use. Built of stone with roof. Altered circa 1970. There are no datable architectural features on the exterior except a flat chamfered stone arched doorway, and that together with the interior passage for spectators which has an open arcaded side of simple woodwork with small classical columns, may well date from 1798. The tennis court belongs to Merton College who rent it to the Tennis Club.

All the listed buildings in Kybald Street form a group.

Listing NGR: SP5173506154

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 245606

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing