WINSFORD HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1105657

Date first listed: 15-Apr-1978

Statutory Address: WINSFORD HOSPITAL

Map

Ordnance survey map of WINSFORD HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105657 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 01:11:35.

Location

Statutory Address: WINSFORD HOSPITAL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge (District Authority)

Parish: Halwill

National Grid Reference: SX 44545 99993

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BEAWORTHY HALWILL JUNCTION SX 49 NW 1/44 - Winsford Hospital 15.4.78 GV II*

Small hospital. 1899-1900 by C.F.A. Voysey. Rendered walls with stone window dressings. Slate roof, hipped to left end, gabled to right and with 3 gables and the front and 2 at the rear. 7 rendered stacks, all axial apart from a front lateral stack towards the left end. The plan is very unaltered from the original with an entrance hall to the right of centre which gives access to a corridor running along the rear of the building onto which a number of small front rooms open. 2 small wings project at the rear towards either end between which a C20 sun-lounge has been built. Single storey. Asymmetrical 16 window front of 1, 2 and 3 light mullions. There is a large gable to its right; a smaller gable is to the right of centre over the entrance with another large gable immediately adjoining to its right. The 2 larger gables are extended to the rear into small wings. The front door is part glazed with a 2-light window also under the gable immediately to its left. In this gable is a plaque with an inscription commerating the founding of the hospital by Maria Medley and bearing the date 1900. Very unaltered interior with original fittings such as plank doors with their wrought iron strap hinges; decorative ventilation grills, and chimney-pieces of which the one in the hall is carved with coats of arms including those of its benefactress and another has inverted heart design. This building is a rare example in Devon of a Voysey building which still serves its original purpose and is very unaltered.

Listing NGR: SX4454599993

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 94255

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing