CO-OPERATIVE STORES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1105676

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: CO-OPERATIVE STORES, NEWGATE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CO-OPERATIVE STORES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105676 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 10:58:44.

Location

Statutory Address: CO-OPERATIVE STORES, NEWGATE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 24536 64337

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 2464 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE NEWGATE STREET (West side) Co-operative Stores 20/419 G.V II Department stores and offices. 1931-2 by L G Ekins, C W S Architect, for Newcastle Co-operative Society Ltd. Steel frame; Springwell sandstone ashlar; green mosaic top tower storeys; green pantiled roof. Curved site round corner of Darn Crook (now St. Andrew's Street). Art deco style. 4 storeys and attics with 2 towers; 6:1:15:1:7 bays, 30 bays in all. The 3 left bays are an addition of 1959 in replica. Entrances in tall square towers which have 3 full-height windows, with vertical and diagonal glazing bars and tall opening lights; stepped tops under set-back fluted band; set- back top storey has horizontal windows with decorative glazing bars; wrought iron crestings. 15, bays between towers have altered ground floor windows; giant pilasters above support deep fascia and wrought-iron wave-patterned balcony. On top floor columns with lotus capitals in front of all tall casements with fish-scale glazing bars in overlights; other windows casements with glazing bars. Left bays in plainer style have 2 square-headed dormers. Right curved corner bays have central panel on first and second floors containing shallow canted bay; dormer above has fluted stone pilasters; plainer dormers over end bays. Left tower has barometer; right has clock with the letters C O O P E R A T I V E in places of figures. Interior has marble staircases with marble balustrades: steel handrail carried on small figures in flowing style: marble-clad walls to stair wells with shaped door surrounds. Corner display- cases have decorative glazing bars. Historical note: at the opening in 1932, the distinguished guest was presented with a television set. Source: Newcastle Evening Chronicle, September 5, 1932, p.8.

Listing NGR: NZ2453664337

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 304744

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Newcastle Evening Chronicle' in 5 September, (1932), 8

End of official listing