This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1105702



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Gulworthy

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Jan-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 94056

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TAVISTOCK HAMLETS DEVON GREAT CONSOLS SX 47 SW 5/155 - Woodland View 13.1.86 GV II Mine captain's house, now house. c 1850-60, with some later alterations. Rubble slate-hung and painted, 2-span slate roof with brick gable stacks to front range, further rear range with hipped roof, 3 parallel ranges, front range has central passage with room right and left, middle range with central staircase. 2 storeys and 3 windows, 12-pane sashes with voussoirs at first floor, 16-pane sashes with voussoirs at ground floor, fine central porch with double doors, half-glazed with diamond glazing and margin glazing, panelled lower part, fluted pilasters with plain capitals to each side, 6-pane light with margin glazing to right and left side, frieze with roundels, triglyphs and guttae, dentil cornice. Left return has first range rendered, large stepped external stack; second range colourwashed with single storey C20 glazed porch, inner door with 9 panes to upper part, 2-panelled lower part, 16-pane sash with cambered brick head at ground and first floor left; third range all slate-hung, middle range has ground floor 2-light 8-pane casement, possibly formerly door, 20-pane sash at ground and first floor; rear range has glazed door with sidelight and overlight, 16-pane sash at first floor, the rear range being lower than the front 2 ranges. Interior front right room has C20 fireplace, formerly with slate pilasters, to each side panelled cupboards with fluted pilasters, panelled doors to front rooms, central passage has inner door with 3 panels, Greek key decoration on upper and lower panel; front left room has C20 fireplace with cupboards to sides, cupboards have doors with 6-pane light and margin glazing, tiered shelves. Middle range has central staircase, dog-leg, with wreathed handrail and stick balusters, dado panelling. Devon Great Consols Mine was opened in 1844. (Sources: Booker, F.: Industrial Archaeology of the Tamar Valley).

Listing NGR: SX4247373628

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Booker, F, Industrial Archaeology of the Tamar Valley, (1967)

National Grid Reference: SX 42473 73628


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105702 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 01:37:44.

End of official listing