This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TOWN HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TOWN HALL

List entry Number: 1105855

Location

TOWN HALL, FORE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Okehampton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 93362

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FORE STREET 1. 5185 (north side) Town Hall SX5895 1/3 SX5995 1/3 5.2.52 II* GV 2. 1685, originally a private house. Dressed granite with steeply pitched hipped slate roof and heavy moulded modillion eaves cornice which breaks over centre bay into a small pediment. Round moulded string course at floor levels. Three storeys, two bays. Sash windows with glazing bars in exposed moulded casing and with plain granite cills and lintels. Centre second floor has cornice hood on consoles. Centre first floor wooded centred bay window with sashes and ogee-shaped lead roof. Ground floor centre doorway with widely-spaced granite pilasters, slightly tapered with large bases and capitals, supporting the bay window above. Wide fielded panel door in heavy doorcase. Large modern extension at rear. Interior: circa late C17 open well staircase with thick moulded balusters, heavy moulded string and hand rail and square newels with ball finials. Ground floor room has late C17 moulded panelling with a cornice and chimney piece. Built in 1685 by John Northmore and purchased in 1740 by John Luxmoore MP, owner of Okehampton Castle, who used it as his town house. The Luxmoore family remained in possession until the mid C19 when it was converted into the Town Hall, after the old Town Hall, in Middle Row, had been demolished.

Listing NGR: SX5873195200

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 58731 95200

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105855 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2017 at 11:08:00.

End of official listing