CHAPEL OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1105858

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1952

Statutory Address: CHAPEL OF ST JAMES, FORE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105858 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 17:59:37.

Location

Statutory Address: CHAPEL OF ST JAMES, FORE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Okehampton

National Grid Reference: SX 58849 95214

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FORE STREET 1. 5185 (south side) Chapel of St James SX5895 1/5 SX5995 1/5 5.2.52 II* GV 2. C15 west tower. Nave and chancel in one rebuilt in 1862. Perpendicular west tower built of dressed granite in 3 stages with setback buttresses and polygonal north-east stair turret with battlements. Embattled parapet and obelisk pinnacles. Bell openings with two 4-centred arch lights. Three-light west window with reticulated tracery over moulded doorway with 2-centre arch. The Victorian nave and chancel built of Delabole Mate with granite dressings and slate roof. Plain cusped lancets, 2-light on south side. Three-light east window with interjecting glazing bars. Interior: blocked 3-bay north arcade with octagonal granite piers. Small C19 wooden gallery at the west end. Pulpit and reader's desk made up from circa C16/17 carved woodwork. Old bench ends and fragments of tracery, probably from screen, on south wall. Reused circa C18 twisted balusters in late C19 altar rail.

Listing NGR: SX5884995214

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 93365

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing