18 AND 20, FORE STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1105955

Date first listed: 11-Jun-1986

Statutory Address: 18 AND 20, FORE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 18 AND 20, FORE STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105955 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 18:22:58.

Location

Statutory Address: 18 AND 20, FORE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Bradninch

National Grid Reference: SS 99972 04054

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRADNINCH FORE STREET (west side), SS 90 NE Bradninch 11/21 Nos. 18 & 20 - GV II 2 houses forming part of a long row. Built 1685 after the second major Bradninch fire, and considerably altered and enlarged in the C19 and again in the 1920s. Cob and stone, plastered, under dry-slate roof. Formerly a 3-room, cross-passage plan, no. 18 occupying the inner room, and No.20 the others, with the lower-end to the right. 2 storey. Front: 3 window range, tripartite horned sash windows to both floors; with one pane per sash; both house entrances under moulded canopies on console brackets. End stacks, and one axial stack. The house has been considerably enlarged at the back, notably in the mid-1920s in the form of 2 wings, each with two 1-light horned sash windows; and there is a late-C19 glazed, timber workshop, formerly detached. Interior: C17 features survive in the left-hand room of no. 20 (formerly the Hall) - one cross beam with run-out stop with bar - and the ground floor room of No.18 - one axial beam with run-out stops. The Hall fireplace has been blocked: it was formerly adorned with plaster panels, one bearing the letters CR: the house was rebuilt after the fire of winter 1684-5, and as Charles II died in February 1685, it must date from those winter months.

Listing NGR: SS9997204054

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 95213

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing