COBLEY HEADSTONE APPROXIMATELY 3 METRES SOUTH OF THE PORCH OF THE CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1105984
Date first listed:
04-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
COBLEY HEADSTONE APPROXIMATELY 3 METRES SOUTH OF THE PORCH OF THE CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, DRAYDOWN HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of COBLEY HEADSTONE APPROXIMATELY 3 METRES SOUTH OF THE PORCH OF THE CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105984 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 09:30:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
COBLEY HEADSTONE APPROXIMATELY 3 METRES SOUTH OF THE PORCH OF THE CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, DRAYDOWN HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Spreyton
National Grid Reference:
SX 69740 96704

Details

SX 69 NE SPREYTON DRAYDOWN HILL, Spreyton

1/267 Cobley headstone approximately 3 metres south of the porch of the Church of St Michael GV II

Headstone. Dated 1844 in memory of Thomas Cobley. Limestone. Upright slab standing approximately 1.2m high with shaped head. In the inscription the first word is in Gothic lettering, most of the rest is plain capitals but includes some italics. It records the deaths of Thomas Cobley, gent., in 1844, his wife Elizabeth in 1839 and nephew William in 1837. This is the "Uncle Tom Cobley" of the famous "Widecombe Fair" folk song.

Listing NGR: SX6974096704

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
95075
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12313/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Stella Beavan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].