Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1106022

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1988

Statutory Address: 1-3, WOODBALL COTTAGES


Ordnance survey map of WOODBALL COTTAGES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106022 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 20:05:37.


Statutory Address: 1-3, WOODBALL COTTAGES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon (District Authority)

Parish: South Tawton

National Grid Reference: SX6528396070


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SX 69 NE 1/290

SOUTH TAWTON, 1-3 Woodball Cottages

(Formerly listed as Wood Cottages)


Row of 3 cottages. Circa 1900-1905, probably by Dan Gibson, architect of Wood House (q.v.). Plastered walls, probably stone rubble, maybe brick; stone rubble or brick stacks with plastered chimneyshafts; slate roof. Plan: row of 3 cottages facing south, each with an identical plan, L-shaped in plan. Each has a front entrance on the left side and has 2 rooms, one behind the other, those sharing a right-end stack (thus the right end cottage has a projecting gable- end stack). In each case the rear room occupies a rear block projecting at right angles. All 3 are 2 storeys. Exterior: each cottage has the same regular 2-window front, but only the right one has its original casements with glazing bars. Each has a doorway on the right end under a round-headed arch (again only the right one has its original plank door). Alongside a 4-light casement and of the 2 first floor windows the right one is a gabled dormer. The doors and windows have plain slate dripcourses over. The main block roof is gable-ended to right and hipped to left. Interiors not inspected. These cottages are built in the same style as nearby Wood House (q.v.) and were presumably built for estate labourers as part of the 1900-1905 rebuilding of the big house along with Thomas Mawson's landscaping of the grounds.

Listing NGR: SX6528396070


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 94972

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing