STEPS AND TERRACE WALLS AROUND TENNIS LAWN SOUTH WEST OF WOOD HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1106027
Date first listed:
04-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
STEPS AND TERRACE WALLS AROUND TENNIS LAWN SOUTH WEST OF WOOD HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of STEPS AND TERRACE WALLS AROUND TENNIS LAWN SOUTH WEST OF WOOD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106027 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 16:53:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
STEPS AND TERRACE WALLS AROUND TENNIS LAWN SOUTH WEST OF WOOD HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
South Tawton
National Grid Reference:
SX 65450 96020

Details

SX 69 NE SOUTH TAWTON

1/180 Steps and terrace walls around tennis lawn south-west of Wood House GV II*

Steps and terrace walls. 1899-1905 by Thomas Mawson. Plain granite steps, low granite rubble walls made from chosen pieces made to look like crazy paving and with flat-topped granite ashlar coping; granite ashlar seat. Plan and description: the tennis lawn is terraced into the hillside facing north- east. Most of the banks around it are of earth surmounted by low box yew hedges but the bottom one (onto the forecourt) and the right one looking up from the house (onto the rear service drive) are revetted with granite walls. From the centre of the forecourt (called by Mawson the carriage court), a flight of stone steps lead up to the first short terrace which begins the crazy-paved granite path around the tennis lawn. Plain stone steps lead up all the terraces and at the right (north- western) end of the top one is a round-backed stone seat. These features associated with the tennis lawn are part of an extensive landscaping scheme conceived by Mawson to go with the rebuilding of Wood House (q.v.). Mawson himself considered the whole scheme as one-of his major achievements. Source: T H Mawson The Art and Craft of Garden Making, (5th edition) includes copious notes and illustrations of Wood House.

Listing NGR: SX6545096020

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
94977
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Mawson, T H , The Art and Craft of Garden Making, (1907)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 11 Devon,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].