This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BOWLING GREEN PAVILION APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES SOUTH OF WOOD HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BOWLING GREEN PAVILION APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES SOUTH OF WOOD HOUSE

List entry Number: 1106028

Location

BOWLING GREEN PAVILION APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES SOUTH OF WOOD HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: South Tawton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 94979

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 69 NE SOUTH TAWTON

1/182 Bowling Green Pavilion approximately 100 metres south of Wood House GV II*

Pavilion. 1889-1905 by Thomas Mawson. Granite ashlar, more rubbley on the lesser sides. Plan and description: pavilion in a simple classical style like a loggia. It faces north-east, built across the hillslope and terraced into it. 3-bay arcade of plain round-headed arches on square-section piers interrupting a dripcourse at impost level. Each end wings break forward with similar round-headed arches in shallow square-headed recesses each front end. These end arches lead to steps rising over changing rooms each end of the arcade. Paved balcony on the top with an open balustrade with turned balusters identical to those used on the parapet over the hall of Wood House (q.v.). This pavilion is part of an extensive landscaping scheme conceived by Mawson to go with the rebuilding of Wood House (q.v.). Mawson himself considered the whole scheme as one of his major achievements. Source: T H Mawson The Art and Craft of Garden Making, (5th edition) includes copious notes and illustrations of Wood House.

Listing NGR: SX6543095935

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Mawson, T H , The Art and Craft of Garden Making, (1907)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 11 Devon,

National Grid Reference: SX6543095935

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106028 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 04:09:12.

End of official listing