COWHOUSE APPROXIMATELY 3 METRES EAST OF GOOSEFORD FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1106053
Date first listed:
04-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
COWHOUSE APPROXIMATELY 3 METRES EAST OF GOOSEFORD FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of COWHOUSE APPROXIMATELY 3 METRES EAST OF GOOSEFORD FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106053 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 08:31:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
COWHOUSE APPROXIMATELY 3 METRES EAST OF GOOSEFORD FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
South Tawton
National Park:
DARTMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SX 67568 91722

Details

SX 69 SE SOUTH TAWTON

4/147 Cowhouse approximately 3 metres east of Goose ford Farmhouse

GV II

Cowhouse, former farmhouse. Dated 1641 and all features are consistent with this date, partly rebuilt when converted from a farmhouse to a cowhouse circa 1900. Granite stone rubble with large roughly-dressed quoins and sections of large coursed blocks of granite ashlar. Disused granite stack; corrugated iron roof, formerly thatch. Plan: 3-room plan house built across the hillslope facing south. The internal arrangement has been much-altered and a much longer study of the fabric than was possibe for this survey is needed to discover the layout in detail. The right end room has an end stack. It is thought that an axial stack served the other rooms but no evidence of it remains. 2 storeys. Exterior: irregular 3-window front, the windows are blocked. Ground floor right window has been enlarged to a doorway. A plaque inscribed Anno Do 1641 flanked by labels inscribed OL has been reset high in the wall right of centre. Roof is hipped both ends. The rear elevation has been similarly rearranged. Central doorway here has been rebuilt. Above it is the only original window left, an oak 3-light window with ovolo-moulded mullions. A second door to right contains an oak C17 doorframe with ovolo-moulded surround has been reset facing inwards. Interior: has plain chamfered crossbeams. The fireplace has a similarly-finished oak lintel. 7-bay roof of A-frame trusses with pegged lap-jointed collars. Lega-Weekes who saw the house in 1896 before its conversion describes "a gabled porch with a pointed entrance-arch of moulded granite, retaining a very heavy oak door, studded with monster nails, above which was a table dated 1641 and a mullioned window, on whose dripstone-corbels appeared the letters CL". Source: E Lega-Weekes, Neighbours of North Wyke, Park I Trans. Devon. Assoc. 33 (1901), pp 447 - 448.

Listing NGR: SX6756891722

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
94941
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions of the Devonshire Association' in Transactions of the Devonshire Association, , Vol. 33, (1901), 447-448

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04844/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ken Vincent. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].