MIDDLE GOOSEFORD FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1106055
Date first listed:
04-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
MIDDLE GOOSEFORD FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MIDDLE GOOSEFORD FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106055 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 00:44:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
MIDDLE GOOSEFORD FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
South Tawton
National Park:
DARTMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SX 67688 91863

Details

SX 69 SE SOUTH TAWTON

4/154 Middle Gooseford Farmhouse

GV II

Farmhouse. Probably C17, maybe earlier, thoroughly renovated circa 1920. Plastered granite rubble, maybe with cob; stone rubble stacks, 2 of them with granite ashlar chimneyshafts; thatch roof. Plan and development: 4-room-and-through-passage plan house built down a gentle hillslope facing south-east. Small unheated room, probably a dairy, uphill at the right (north-eastern) end. Inner room has an axial stack backing onto the dairy. Hall has an axial stack backing onto the passage. Service end room has projecting gable-end stack. Since no internal inspection was available at the time of this survey it is not possible to outline the historic development of the house here. Nevertheless it seems likely that the original house was some form of open hall- house. It is tempting to interpret the house as a former Dartmoor longhouse but there is no evidence for this. Now 2 storeys throughout. Exterior: regular but not symmetrical 6-window front of circa 1920 casements except for the ground floor hall window which is C19 and its outer lights contain rectangular panes of leaded glass. Passage front doorway a little left of centre contains a C19 fielded panel door behind a C20 gabled porch on rustic posts. Roof is gable-ended. Interior was not available for inspection at the time of this survey. According to the owner it is mostly the result of the circa 1920 renovation; the fireplaces are blocked and no carpentry detail is exposed. Some of the beams were removed circa 1920.

Listing NGR: SX6768891863

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
94948
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].