LINHAY AND CALF HOUSE 4 METRES SOUTH-WEST OF WEST FURSHAM FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1106066
Date first listed:
04-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
LINHAY AND CALF HOUSE 4 METRES SOUTH-WEST OF WEST FURSHAM FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LINHAY AND CALF HOUSE 4 METRES SOUTH-WEST OF WEST FURSHAM FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106066 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 14:45:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
LINHAY AND CALF HOUSE 4 METRES SOUTH-WEST OF WEST FURSHAM FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Mid Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Cheriton Bishop
National Grid Reference:
SX 71489 93460

Details

SX 79 SW DREWSTEIGNTON

5/79 Linhay and calf house 4 metres south-west of West Fursham Farmhouse GV II

Linhay and calf house. Probably C18, maybe late C17; small extension of 1839 according to date inscription. Mostly cob on stone rubble footings, C19 extension of stone rubble, some patching of C20 concrete blocks; corrugated iron roof (formerly thatch). Plan and exterior description: long range facing onto former farmyard to north-west. The main section to right is an 8-bay linhay, still mostly open-fronted. Immediately left of this and separated by cob crosswall is a cartshed (an open bay) then the calf house with a front doorway. At the left end the C19 extension provides another cartshed with a full height doorway. The linhay is Alcock's linhay type T1. The full height oak posts rest on granite pads. Large roughly-finished crossbeams are notched into and tusk-tenoned through the posts. The top of the posts clasp the outer principals of A-frame roof trusses with pegged and spiked lap- jointed collars. The oak lintel of the calf house doorway is inscribed 1839. Roof is gable-ended to right and hipped to left.

Listing NGR: SX7148993460

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
94874
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/13152/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Prof Peter Paul Anthony. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].