PROVIDENCE METHODIST CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1106139
Date first listed:
16-Sep-1987
Statutory Address:
PROVIDENCE METHODIST CHAPEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of PROVIDENCE METHODIST CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106139 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jun-2019 at 04:11:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
PROVIDENCE METHODIST CHAPEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Throwleigh
National Park:
DARTMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SX 67513 89311

Details

SX 68 NE

THROWLEIGH Providence Methodist Chapel

GII Methodist chapel, originally Bible Christian.Dated 1839 and is said to have been built at the expense of R.D.Gay of nearby Providence Place. Plastered granite stone rubble lightly incised as ashlar; slate roof. Plan and description:Chapel with its side facing the road to the south-west.The entrance is under the gallery at the right (south-east) end and there are assembly rooms on the left end.The front of the chapel has a single tall window with pointed head containing a pattern of C20 leaded glass and there are two similar to rear.The roof is hipped each end. Doorway in right end with small gabled porch containing a C20 door above which there is a small lead plaque inscribed Bible Christian Chapel,1839.There is a similar porch left of the chapel to the assembly rooms with a sixteen-pane sash alongside to left. The roof of this section is lower and it is gable-ended. The end contains two round-headed windows containing Y-tracery glazing bars and there is another over the main chapel porch. Source: C Stell RCHM inventory of Non-Conformist Chapels (forthcoming)

Listing NGR: SX6751389311

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
94753
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Stell, C, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in South West England, (1991)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing