This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RUSHFORD BRIDGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RUSHFORD BRIDGE

List entry Number: 1106199

Location

RUSHFORD BRIDGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Chagford

National Park: DARTMOOR

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 94594

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 78 NW CHAGFORD

4/65 Rushford Bridge 20.2.52 - II

Road bridge over River Teign. Probably C17 but may be earlier, widened in late C18 - early C19, refurbished in 1911. Mainly large blocks of coursed granite ashlar with some granite stone rubble. The original 2-span bridge has plain-vaulted elliptical, nearly round-headed, arches springing from vestical abuttments. Unusually narrow central pier with pointed cutwaters rising nearly to parapet level. In late C18 - early C19 the bridge was widened on a slightly different axis. The wider road is carried out on lower segmental arches springing from the top of the old cutwater. The parapet ramps up towards the centre following the humpback of the road. It has rounded coping and terminal piers which project externally only after the parapet wall curves outwards. Bridge is now held together by cast iron strainer bars. The bosses each end are embossed with the initials of Devon County Council and the date 1911. The bridge was repaired by the parish between 1560-92 and by the county in 1960. Source: Henderson and Jervoise Old Devon Bridges (1938) p.40.

Listing NGR: SX7050488216

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Henderson, C, Jervoise, E , Old Devon Bridges, (1938), 40

National Grid Reference: SX 70504 88216

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106199 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2017 at 06:21:58.

End of official listing