CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1106230
Date first listed:
14-May-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE, FRONT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106230 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 04:39:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE, FRONT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Eden (District Authority)
Parish:
Alston Moor
National Grid Reference:
NY 71835 46536

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/08/2016

NY 7146 24/52

ALSTON MOOR FRONT STREET, ALSTON (North side) Church of St Augustine

G.V.

II

Parish Church. 1870 by J.W. Walton, spire 1886 by G. D. Oliver, replacing 1770 church by Smeaton on medieval site. Ashlar with plinth, buttresses and moulded eaves. Welsh slate roofs with apex crosses to stone copings. Nave with south aisle; lower chancel. South porch under offset 3-stage tower with corner pinnacles. Early English style with lancet and plate tracery windows, those to nave clerestory 3-light under segmental arches. Trumeau separates shouldered porch doors with marble nook shafts. Tympanum of Christ in Majesty. Interior: 4-bay nave has arcade of squat polished granite piers with foliate caps. 3-bay chancel with painted 5-panel reredos. East window designed by Wooldridge and made by Powell. Font in nave has round bowl on central stem with detached marble shafts. Derwentwater clock on west wall presented 1767 and restored 1978. Wrought-iron weather vane now inside, dated 1770.

Listing NGR: NY7183546536

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
73112
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/09966/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Robert Bewley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].