CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1106276

Date first listed: 11-Apr-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106276 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 15:20:30.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Warwick (District Authority)

Parish: Wappenbury

National Grid Reference: SP 37804 69282

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WAPPENBURY 12/336 Church of Saint John the Baptist 11.4.67

GV II*

Parish Church. Circa C13 chancel, early C14 west tower, 1886 nave and south aisle rebuilt in character of C14 work. At same time south porch and transept added, and whole church re-roofed. Three lancet windows in east, north and south walls of chancel and re-set doorway with trefoil head in south wall. The transept has a gable with a chimney as a finial and is lighted by a two-light tracery window on south and a single trefoil headed light on east. Between transept and south porch the aisle is lighted by three lancets placed close together. South porch has angle buttresses and a pointed entrance arch and an ogee-headed window on either side. South door has pointed arch of C13 character. North side of nave has two single trefoil light with pointed arches and between them a plain two-light tracery window. West of the latter window is a doorway, projected slightly from the wall as a gable with low buttresses to give the appearance of a porch. The doorway has a trefoil head and a pointed arch. The tower which is on the south side of the nave is divided by string courses into three stages, supported by diagonal buttresses at each corner. Embattled parapet with stair turret at SE angle and small turret at SW angle. Belfry windows on north, south and west are of two-trefoil lights with pointed arches; that on east side has three-trefoil lights with flat four-centred arch. Interior: 1886 trussed rafter roof in chancel. On south side is a late C13 piscina. 1886 wagon vault roof in nave and 1886 chancel arch of two orders. Nave arcade is in three bays in line with tower which form a fourth. The arches are pointed of two splayed orders springing from octagonal pillars with moulded capitals. Lofty pointed tower arch of 2 splayed orders supported on half octagon responds.



Listing NGR: SP3780469282

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 308214

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing