Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106329.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2021 at 17:04:38.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
NZ 25260 64017


NZ 2564 SW and NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE PILGRIM STREET NZ 2563 NW (south end off) 21/452 and 24/452 Church of All Saints 14.6.54 G.V. I Parish church; now urban studies centre and concert hall. 1786-96 by David Stephenson replacing medieval church. Sandstone ashlar; Welsh slate roof. Oval plan, with apses on short axis west-east; south chapel and vestry flank portico and tower. Classical style, with baroque tower. Greek Doric tetrastyle portico has dentilled pediment; flanking windows have tripartite sashes in Ionic pilasters under shallow lunettes with glazing bars; voussoirs continuous with chanelled rustication. Rusticated plinth supports paired Ionic pilasters defining bays, with top entablature. Returns have similar window treatment to 2-bay chapel and vestry. Oval continues plinth and Ionic Order framing segmental-headed windows; round-headed gallery windows have balustrades; top dentilled cornice continuous with pediments of tower. 4-stage tower has segmental-headed windows under dentilled pediments; tall arched panels above with louvred lunettes under dentilled cornice; clock faces flanked by plinths of paired diagonal columns; tripartite windows above. Set-back top stage has round balustrade and set-back open-arched belfry with paired corner columns; top spire. Double door in portico and in west apse. Both apses have blind panels, the upper balustraded and with swags. Fluted impost strings. Low, flat-coped walls flank 3 flights of steps to portico. Interior: painted plaster above panelled mahogany dado, moulded plaster ceiling with much leaf and flower ornament; dentilled cornice. Panelled pews join fluted Doric columns supporting balcony, all mahogany. Corinthian Order in east apse; organ in west concealing exit. Vestibule under tower contains replica of medieval font with heraldic shields; memorials on walls include marble plaque commemorating David Stephenson, architect, died 1819, by Davies; low-relief obelisk on mount to Edward Moses d.1813, son of the master of the Grammar School, by Davies with Greek and Latin inscriptions; and to Joseph Garnett, died 1796, a bracketed marble slab with book and drapery, by Craggs. Former vestry contains boards of Creed, Lord's Prayer and Commandments from church. Source: T. Sopwith A Historical and Descriptive Account of All Saints' Church in Newcastle upon Tyne Newcastle 1826. Tyne and Wear Museums Service The Tyneside Classical Tradition 1980.

Listing NGR: NZ2526064017


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Sopwith, T, A Historical and Descriptive Account of All Saints' Church in Newcastle upon Tyne, (1826)
'Laing Art Gallery Catalogue' in The Tyneside Classical Tradition, (1980)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/03306/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].