This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GIBRALTAR MILL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GIBRALTAR MILL

List entry Number: 1106360

Location

GIBRALTAR MILL, MILL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Bardfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 17-May-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 115334

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 63 NE GREAT BARDFIELD MILL ROAD (north side)

3/195 Gibraltar Mill 21.12.67 (Formerly listed under Outlying Items) - II

Tower windmill, now a dwelling. Early C18, converted 1934. Plastered red brick, boarded cap. Built in 2 stages, originally octagonal to a height of 6.10 metres, later raised to 9.77 metres, reducing to a circular plan. Wall thickness 1.20 metres at the base. Single-storey domestic extension to NE, of plastered brick with shingled roof. 4 floors with C20 casements on each. Boat- shaped cap, stocks and skeleton sails, fantail gear without fantail. Height overall 13.44 metres. Farries finds the earliest documentary evidence of it in 1707, and concludes that it was built after the great storm of 1703, which destroyed many mills, as an experimental tower mill with exceptionally massive walls, completed soon after the sieges of Gibraltar, 1704-5. It was not successful commercially, and was converted to a cottage, with an inserted stack in the wall. It was converted back to a mill in 1754 and raised to its present height. It was derelict 1899-1904 after storm damage and was then equipped with the present fantail gear. It had one pair of stones. Some of the equipment remains in situ. (K.G. Farries, Essex Windmills, Millers and Millwrights, vol. 3, 1984, 24-7). . .. . . .

Listing NGR: TL6800430727

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Farries, K G, Essex Windmills Millers and Millwrights, (1984), 24-7

National Grid Reference: TL 68004 30727

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106360 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2017 at 04:50:06.

End of official listing