This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1106389



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Swale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Lynsted with Kingsdown

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Mar-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 176283

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



2/73 Bogle with garden wall (formerly listed as 27.8.52 Beaugill)


House. C16 and extended c.1643 and C20. Timber framed with red brick infill and plain tiled roof. Originally 4 framed bays extended 1 bay c.1643 and contemporary service wing to rear with C18 and early C20 wings to rear. Two storeys and basement, small panel framing, the left end bay once jettied, with attic and 2 hipped dormers. Kneelered parapet gables and stacks to centre left and to end right and end left, each with 2 diagonal set flues. Four 3 light wood mullion windows and one 2 light to right on first floor, and four 3 light windows on ground floor. Plank and stud door in moulded surround in central 2 storey porch with bargeboarded and pendant gable. Interior: stone fireplace in hall, oak panelling and chamfered and moulded doors and doorways, mullioned window to rear with carved surrounds and console brackets. Internal plan much altered. Materials for the brick nogging and extension of the house from the mansion of the Drury's in Lynsted Street, pulled down by the Huggesons c.1643. Porch with inscription: H and MH and JH on posts, references to 1643 WH II John, James and William Huggeson, and James and Mary Huggeson. Garden wall, extends forwards 10 yards from end left of house, at 8 foot height, and part encloses front garden at 3 foot height for 10 yards to C20 gateway. The gateways and wall to right are not of special interest. (See B.O.E. Kent II, 1983, 379; Selby, Teynham Manor and Hundred, 1982 edn., Iggelsden, vol 22 p.51).

Listing NGR: TQ9474261453

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Igglesden, C, Saunter through Kent with pen and pencil, (1947), 51
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 379
Selby, E , Teynham Manor and Hundred, (1982)

National Grid Reference: TQ 94742 61452


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106389 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 04:29:52.

End of official listing