WEST GATEWAY AND ADJOINING CHURCHYARD WALLS TO CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1106432

Date first listed: 17-Mar-1988

Statutory Address: WEST GATEWAY AND ADJOINING CHURCHYARD WALLS TO CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, HIGHER TOWN

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEST GATEWAY AND ADJOINING CHURCHYARD WALLS TO CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106432 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 14:11:20.

Location

Statutory Address: WEST GATEWAY AND ADJOINING CHURCHYARD WALLS TO CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, HIGHER TOWN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Sampford Peverell

National Grid Reference: ST 02956 14255

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SAMPFORD PEVERELL HIGHER TOWN (north side) ST 01 SW Sampford Peverell 8/145 West Gateway and adjoining - churchyard walls to Church of St John the Baptist GV II

Gateway and churchyard wall. Dated 1862. Gateway of rock-faced grey- coloured limestone ashlar with Hamstone detail. A tall 2-centred arch with moulded surround recessed below a chamfered segmental pointed relieving arch. Its plain sides have weathered offsets for narrow flanking buttresses. Along the top the tall banded coping is interrupted in the centre by a Hamstone plaque. The inscription has worn away. However, the rear is identical and the plaque there retains the date 1862. The arch contains original wrought iron gates. Either side the churchyard is revetted by a tall stone wall of local red sandstone conglomerate rubble.

Listing NGR: ST0295614255

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 95994

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing