COLDHARBOUR MILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1106486
Date first listed:
15-Apr-1987
Statutory Address:
COLDHARBOUR MILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of COLDHARBOUR MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106486 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 19:11:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
COLDHARBOUR MILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Mid Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Uffculme
National Grid Reference:
ST 06187 12190

Details

ST 01 SE UFFCULME COLDHARBOUR 4/164 Coldharbour Mill

II*

COLDHARBOUR MILL. Earliest reference 1707 as a paper mill,rebuilt as a Grist Mill after a flood 1753. Offered for sale 1788, purchased 1797 by Thomas Fox of Wellington a manufacturer of serge, flannel to expand his business. In 1799 he erected a brick & stone factory on the site. From 1799 to 1981 Messrs Fox Bros engaged in yarn spinning. In 1981 Fox Bros closed down Coldharbour Mill. From 1982 Coldharbour Mill has continued to operate a Working Wool Museum still producing yarn commerically. Grist Mill; Brick & stone, 3-storey block,rectangular in plan with slated hipped roof & basement. East side 4-window range under segmentally headed window arches. Various window ranges to other sides. Spinning Mill; Brick & stone 3-storey block, rectangular in plan with slated gable-ended roof mounted with ridge ventilators. The attic floor is lit by continuous clerestory windows to North and South. 2-storey extension to North and a single storey extension to South both with lean to roofs with skylights. Main block 7-window range, at West end of block ancillary buildings include engine room and boiler room leading to a tall polygonal stack. A high shot breast wheel survives at the opposite end of the block.

Listing NGR: ST0618712190

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
95824
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/14142/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].